How To Report

Learn how to report abuse


Reporting suspected abuse is one of the most important steps you can take to protect children. If you suspect abuse, call one of the numbers listed on this page. If the child is in immediate danger, CALL 911.

If you live in South Carolina and suspect abuse by a family member who has responsibility for taking care of the child, contact the South Carolina Child Abuse Hotline at 1-888-CARE4US® (888) 227-3487. 

If you live in the Lowcountry area and need assistance with this process, call us at (843) 723-3600.

If you live outside of South Carolina and need help, call National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-4ACHILD®. 

If you suspect abuse by someone who does not have caregiver responsibility for the child, contact your local law enforcement jurisdiction:

Berkeley County Sheriff’s Office
(843) 719-4465 (Moncks Corner)
(843) 723-3800 ext. 4465 (Charleston)
(843) 567-3136 ext. 4465 (St. Stephen)

Charleston Police Department
(843) 577-7434

Charleston County Sheriff’s Office
(843) 202-1700

City of Charleston Sheriff’s Office
(843) 577-7434

Dorchester County Sheriff’s Office
(843) 832-0300 (before 5 p.m.)
(843) 873-5111 (after 5 p.m.)

Folly Beach Police Department
(843) 588-2433

Goose Creek Police Department
(843) 572-4300

Hanahan Police Department
(843) 747-5711

Isle of Palms Police Department
(843) 886-6522

Moncks Corner Police Department
(843) 719-7935

Mt. Pleasant Police Department
(843) 884-4176

North Charleston Police Department
(843) 740-2834

Sullivan’s Island Police Department
(843) 871-2463

Summerville Police Department
(843) 875-1650 / 871-2463